Thursday 15 May 2014

How I choose locations for my sessions


I get asked regularly what location I think would be best for a session.  This can actually be very difficult for me.  Many things I need to take into consideration.  Some of which you wouldn't think of.

First,  I always like to find out who is involved in the photo shoot.  Eg.  How many children? Is there elderly people who can't do steps easily.  This helps me to find a location that best suits their need.  Sometimes I even choose a location with a park close by to bribe young children with.



Secondly, I like to work with my clients and their wardrobe selections.  I would hate to show up to a red brick wall with a family fully in red.  Nothing would stand out or look right.  I also ask families what they plan to do with the photos after they print them.  Eg. will they be hanging in their family room which is bright green and we choose a location that would also look good with that.







Finally, is there pet's involved.  This is important to find out if they are allowed at the location of choice or if there is a lot of other people around which would sidetrack animals easily.  I do a lot of pet photography and usually find a quiet setting the easiest to work with animals.  

 

Sometimes my locations are one's you wouldn't think of.  However these sometimes totally work.  Eg. The photo above with the mom, son, and dog was actually a graveyard.  It however had amazing yellow leaves, no traffic around and was totally quiet.


Then sometimes I luck out when a client uses a location they want and it WOW's me such as this great rusted old car on the property of one of my clients.

Locations are endless.....and it's an extremely fun part of photography.  I regularly get asked for location addresses from other photographers.  These are like gold to me. When I find somewhere I like I don't always give it up easily.











No comments:

Post a Comment