Monday 9 June 2014

Recently I have witnessed that men don't like to be photographed....


So whenever I think about blog post topics I usually jot them down and get around to them when I have a moment.  However this topic I have been thinking about for a long time.

I feel blessed to be as busy as I am.  I am constantly being contacted by families wanting to book in sessions with me.  95% of these bookings are done by women.  Now usually I get to a session and I can sense the tension immediately.  Recently I have taken a step back and  noticed that men usually don't want to be there.  Now this isn't every man so before you think I'm a man hater, I ensure you I am not.  However,  I have been racking my brain as to how I can help these situations from happening.

Now my initial reaction when I see this happen at a session, I want to get upset with the husband or partner.  My gut reaction is to turn the camera around and show them how lucky they are to have such a beautiful family and to shape up. I feel sorry for the women who are so excited for new photos and the men in these session are making it an unenjoyable experience.  Whether they are frustrated because they don't want to be there I usually do not feel sorry for them at all.

As a photographer, I try very hard to make the session relaxed and as much fun as possible.  I try to joke around with the family and have real smiles come out instead of forced uncomfortable ones.

Here are a few things I've been thinking about that might help these men not be so grumpy during their photo shoots.

  • Give them lot's of notice about the session.  Sometimes if they are caught off gaurd they aren't prepared.  Us women know how we like to be prepared for these things so give them the courtesy as well.
  • Involve them.  Involve them in picking a location, possibly a color of what they would like to wear (now I do recommend having them ready my what to wear blog post so just forward them the link)
  • Be positive.  Let them know how important these photos are to you and you want to show the world how happy you are and how proud of your family you are.
  • Offer a photo of something he's interested in.  Tell him he can bring his Harley.  Even involving photos near water and then ending with a photo of him fishing with his kids.  The idea's are endless but sometimes this might help.

Finally ladies.  If you show up with your family and there is still tension.  Trust me!  Forget about him.  Don't let him being grumpy let you down.  You enjoy you photos.  When you see how great you look you will be happy.  I promise!  If he's excessively grumpy trust me. I will take over and ensure we get photos that you will like.

This family totally didn't have a grumpy dad.  He's actually is an absolute treat to photograph.  However I couldn't possibly put a photo up of a dad who was grumpy without feeling bad.








No comments:

Post a Comment